NIO is an automobile manufacturing company that lies in China’s premium electric vehicle market. It was founded in November 2014. The mission of the company is to shape a joyful lifestyle by offering premium smart electric vehicles and being the best user enterprise. The company designs, jointly manufactures, and sells smart and connected premium electric vehicles. They also provide users with comprehensive, convenient and innovative charging solutions and other user-centric services.
Board of Directors:
- Bin Li (Founder, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer)
Mr. Bin Li is our founder and has served as chairman of the board since our inception and our chief executive officer since January 2018. Mr. Li currently also serves as
chairman of the board of directors at Bitauto Holdings Limited, an NYSE-listed automobile service company and a leading automobile service provider in China. In
2000, Mr. Li co-founded Beijing Bitauto E-Commerce Co., Ltd. and served as its director and president until 2006. In 2002, Mr. Li co-founded Beijing C&I Advertising Company
Limited and has served as its chairman of the board of directors and chief executive officer since its inception. In addition, Mr. Li currently serves as vice-chairman of China
Automobile Dealers Association, or CADA, and was recognized by CADA in 2008 as one of the top 10 most influential and distinguished people in China’s automobile dealer industry in the past 20 years. Mr. Li received his bachelor’s degree in sociology from Peking University where he minored in Law. Chair of the Nominating and Corporate Governance CommitteeMember of the Compensation Committee.
- Lihong Qin (Co-founder, Director and President)
Mr. Lihong Qin is our co-founder and has served as our director and our president since our inception. Prior to joining us, Mr. Qin served as chief marketing officer and executive director at Longfor Properties Co., Ltd., a leading company involved in property development and investment in China, from 2008 to 2014. He also served as deputy general manager at Anhui Chery Automobile Sales and Service Company from 2005 to 2008, as senior consultant and project manager at Roland Berger Strategy Consultants from 2003 to 2005, and as assistant brand manager at the Marketing Department of Procter & Gamble (Guangzhou) Ltd. from 2001 to 2003. Mr. Qin received his bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree in law from Peking University in 1996 and 1999 and a
master’s degree in public policy from Harvard University in 2001.
- Hai Wu (Independent Director)
Mr. Hai Wu has served as our director since July 2016. Mr. Wu is a managing director of China at Temasek Holdings Advisors (Beijing) Co., Ltd. since May 2014. Mr. Wu has
extensive experience in investments and management. Prior to joining Temasek Holdings, Mr. Wu was the chief executive officer at Ramaxel Technology (Shenzhen)
Limited from April 2012 to February 2014 and a managing director at CITIC Private Equity Funds Management Co., Ltd. from March 2010 to May 2012. Mr. Wu served as
the global director and managing partner of Beijing Branch office of Mckinsey & Company from August 1999 to February 2010. He also served as a non-executive
director of COFCO Meat Holdings Limited from September 2015 to December 2017. He received a bachelor’s degree in physiology from Peking University, a master’s degree in
business administration from the Johnson School of Management, University of Cornell and a doctoral degree in neuroscience and cell biology in Rutgers University.
- Denny Ting Bun Lee (Independent Director)
Mr. Denny Ting Bun Lee has served as our director since September 2018. Mr. Lee currently serves as an independent non-executive director on the board of NetEase,Inc., a leading internet and online game service provider in China listed on the Nasdaq Global Select Market. He was the chief financial officer of NetEase, Inc. from 2002 to 2007. Prior to joining NetEase, Inc., Mr. Lee worked in the Hong Kong office of KPMG for more than ten years. Mr. Lee currently serves as an independent non-executive director and the chairman of the audit committees of the following four companies: (1) Jianpu Technology Inc., a company listed on the New York Stock Exchange, (2) New Oriental Education & Technology Group Inc., a provider of private education services in China listed on the New York Stock Exchange, (3) Concord Medical Services Holdings Limited, a leading specialty hospital management solution provider and operator in China listed on the New York Stock Exchange, and (4) China Metal Resources Utilization Ltd., a company principally engaged in the manufacturing and sales of copper and related products in China listed on the main board of Hong Kong Stock Exchange. Mr. Lee graduated from the Hong Kong Polytechnic University and is a member of The Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants and The Chartered Association of Certified Accountants. Independent Director Chair of the Audit CommitteeMember of the Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee
- James Gordon Mitchell (Director)
Mr. James Gordon Mitchell has served as our director since September 2018. Currently, Mr. Mitchell serves as Senior Executive Vice President and Chief Strategy Officer of Tencent Holdings, where he has worked since July 2011. Mr. Mitchell has also served as the Chairman and non-executive director of the board of China Literature Limited since June 2017. He is also a non-executive director of certain other listed companies
including Yixin Group Limited, a Chinese automobile retail transaction platform company listed on the main board of Hong Kong Stock Exchange (stock code 2858)
and Frontier Developments, a British video game development company listed on the London Stock Exchange (under the symbol AIM: FDEV), and a director of several unlisted companies. Prior to Tencent, Mr. Mitchell was a managing director at Goldman
Sachs. He received a bachelor’s degree in history from the University of Oxford. Member of the Audit CommitteeMember of the Compensation Committee
Fundings and Investors
- Basic information:
- 7-seater high-performance premium electric SUV, 6-seater ES8
- Delivery launched in 06/2018
- Key features:
- boasts more than 180 product improvements including: NEDC(new european driving cycle) est 580km with 100 kWh battery pack; NIO Pilot (advanced driver assistance system) and NOMI (in-car AI system); 3,010mm Class-leading wheelbase;
- Interior space: generous cabin space to accommodate either a 6- or 7-seat layout; 9.8-inch slim-edge digital instrument cluster, an 11.3-inch second-generation multi-touch center display; 10-color ambient lighting and the optional intelligent fragrance system; piano Black Paint with Eclipse Chrome Deco
- Redefined presence: sweeping turn signals, upgraded LED heartbeat taillights and a 924mm ultra-long center high mount stop light (CHMSL)
- Basic information:
- Basic information:
- 5-seater high-performance premium electric SUV
- Delivery initiated in 06/2019
- Key features (https://www.nio.com/es6):
- NEDC(new european driving cycle) est 610km with 100 kWh battery pack; 544ps
maximum power; 4.7-second sprint from 0 to 100 km/h; drag coefficient 0.28
- aesthetic: Hidden door handle; LED daytime running light; electrocardio diagram shaped turning lightings; smart electric charging port cover;
- Interior: sports seats, lounge seats, NIO operations system (Intelligent Digital Cockpit), app list, driver assistance system; Microfiber Headliner
- Basic information:
- 5-seater premium electric coupe SUV
- Delivery launched in 09/2020
- Key features:
- panoramic moonroof: insulates against 83% of heat and over 99.9% of UV rays
- fluid body-color roofline, 17° gracefully inclined rear windshield, 0.26 low drag coefficient
- Interior design: interior features Haptex® and fabric splicing seat, interior features Haptex® and fabric splicing seat,Class-leading 2.9-meter wheelbase
- 12-speaker premium audio system, intelligent fragrance system, smart 10-color ambient lighting, seamlessly-connected 9.8-inch slim-edge digital instrument cluster, 11.3-inch high-definition multi-touch center displ
- Basic information:
- Basic information:
- Key features:
- Double-dash daytime running lights, integrated X-Bar, 3D heartbeat taillight. Purer and more progressive
- A break away from the conventions and perfect integration with the autonomous driving sensing units.
- ET7 features the class-leading wheelbase and width, creating generous space for all occupants. The sleek lines flow smoothly from front to rear.
- The dual-beam LED headlights echo with the double-dash daytime running lights and the heartbeat taillight. With multi-scenario interactions, it is a conversation with the future.
- Pure and concise. When entering, the door automatically opens slightly when you hold the handle. When you are seated, the system takes over to close the door with soft pull action. When exiting, the door automatically opens with one click.
- The floating displays, two-spoke two-tone steering wheel and invisible smart air vents make the cabin sophisticated and cozy.
- The smart fragrance and air quality systems keep the cabin clean and refreshing.
- The floating center display features slim bezel design with the thinnest edge as only 5.5 mm. 100,000:1 ultrahigh contrast, a high-resolution rate of 1,728*1,888, and WSG NTSC, reproducing images with richer colors and finer details.
- NIO Aquila Super Sensing features 33 high-performance sensing units including an ultralong-range high-resolution LiDAR, 11 8MP high-resolution cameras, enhanced driver monitoring system, 5 millimeter wave radars, 12 ultrasonic sensors, redundant high-precision localization units and V2X. It redefines the standards of autonomous driving sensing systems on production models.
- NIO house: designed to be NIO drivers’ home away from home, wherever they take their cars.
1) There are 10 NIO Houses open in China, with plans to open 7+ this year
2) Location: wealthy or highly visited shopping districts like Beijing’s Oriental Plaza
3) Main Club in NIO house:
Car Showroom with ES8, ES9, and racecar
Baristas serve signature coffee and snacks
Supervised play area that parents drop off their children
Available for hosting birthday parties
A warm place for people to socialize, relax and think
A space with tables for people to talk and relax at.
A schedule of events with interesting speakers for users to attend
Bookable meeting rooms and workspaces
Quiet place to read books a mix of topics appealing to high-end user Base
o NIO Cafe:
A place to savor the signature coffee by NIO’s finest barista
4) Selling points:
o Big & fun physical space
o Target users: prospective buyers & current owners
o Sense of belonging: users can feel at home in whatever city they happen to
be driving in or traveling through
o Relaxing and easeful experience: a chill place to escape the bustle of the
o Customer Loyalty: building a customer base as crazy about its products as
Apple’s fans are about that company’s
(Source: https://www.businessinsider.com/nio-tesla-of-china-has-swanky-clubhouse-for-car-owners-tour- photos-2018-10#the-joy-camp-is-a-supervised-play-area-for-children-so-that-parents-can-drop- them-off-and-work-in-the-nio-house-undisturbed-or-even-go-shopping-nearby-28 https://www.nio.com/nio-house)
b. NIO EVE
- A concept consumer autonomous electric car by NIO
- A working prototype of NIO EVE was unveiled in SXSW 2017 Estimate production and delivery by 2020
– Shoot for a range of 600 miles
ES8 (7-seater SUV) – 220 miles, ES6 (5-seater SUV) – 320 miles, Model X – 295 miles
– Equipped with a wireless charging system that provides 200 miles with a 10-minute charging
• Equipped with NOMI, a digital assistant powered by artificial intelligence
– Alert pedestrians to the vehicle’s behavior through intuitive color-coded illuminations – Smart connection to other autonomous vehicle to access intelligent information
– Work as part of a connected network of vehicles to reduce congestion
– Manual driving can be accessed when needed
– Five seats and one forward-sliding door to allow for wide-open entrance to the vehicle’s
– Three main seating areas that can be used for entertain, relaxation, or be productive
Suggested base price of no less than $40,000
(Sources: https://www.nio.com/visioncar https://www.forbes.com/sites/alanohnsman/2017/03/10/chinese-silicon-valley-mashup-nio- bringing-automated-electric-car-to-u-s-in-2020/#1e2c8fd82782)
c.NIO power (mobile internet-based charging solution with extensive battery charging and power swap facility network): 3 minute battery swap, NIO power mobile, Ten minutes of charging provides 100km of range, free power services 15 times/month; NIO service (delivery service, repair, airport parking, car washing, insurance, etc)
BYD, Tesla, Li Auto, Xpeng, Incumbent Car companies with Electric Divisions
- Investment: “Another issue is that East Asian battery-cell manufacturers may be getting more wary of an industry that requires huge capital investments but isn’t making them money. “
- Fire risk: A Tesla burst into flames in an underground parking garage in Shanghai in April and Chinese EV maker NIO was forced to recall nearly 5,000 cars last month following multiple reports of fires. The scale of this recall is big, equivalent to nearly 30% of the cars it has ever delivered. NIO’s stock has dropped nearly 80% from its peak just after September’s initial public offering.Convertible bonds issued in February have lost half their value.
Lions Financial specializes in working with companies in the automotive, trucking, engineering, and renewable energy industries. The electric automotive industry is growing and we support companies in the areas of management consulting and refining business plans for venture capital financing. For companies in the electric automotive industry we support issues around Due Diligence, Valuations, Mergers and Acquisitions, and Business Exits. To find out more about how we can help you contact us https://lions.financial/contact/
If you would like to learn more about additional business consulting and capital markets services: