Aflac is a Fortune 150 company providing financial protection to more than 50 million people worldwide. Aflac does business in two of the largest insurance markets in the world: the U.S. and Japan. For over six decades, Aflac has had one mission – to be there for our customers in their time of need. Through forward-thinking innovations such as SmartClaim®, Aflac pays policyholders promptly, allowing them to focus on recovery instead of financial hardship. The strategy for growth has remained straightforward and consistent over the years – Aflac develops industry-leading voluntary insurance products and sells them through multiple distribution channels.
Aflac Global Ventures
Aflac Global Ventures (AGV) was established in 2016 with a mission to help Aflac its strategic and innovative focus globally and to enhance and defend long-term shareholder value. As the corporate venture arm of Aflac, Aflac global ventures invests in promising young companies that develop disruptive innovations in insurance, healthcare, finance, analytics, and other related fields. In addition to capital, Aflac’s global venture brings industry knowledge and expertise and can facilitate opportunities for commercial partnerships and collaboration. More than just investors, Aflac global ventures think of their selves as true partners – helping early- to growth-stage startups achieve scale and realize their full potential.
Headquarters: Columbus, GA, USA
Number of Employees: 11-50
Bharat Rajaram – Managing Director & CFO of Aflac Global Ventures
Education –Washington University in St. Louis – Olin Business School. 2004-2006
Aflac Global Ventures Greater Atlanta Area
Managing Director & Chief Financial Officer Jan 2020 – Present
Aflac Ventures & Labs
Vice President & Managing Director Mar 2017 – Jan 2020
Nadeem G. Khan – President of Aflac Global Ventures
Education – Osmania University 1993 – 1995
- Master of Business Administration – MBA, Business, Management, Marketing, and Related Support Services
Aflac Global Ventures Charlotte, North Carolina Area
President Jan 2017 – Present
Empowered Benefits, LLC Charlotte, North Carolina Area
President Oct 2015 – Jan 2020
Tomoyuki Shimada – Board Member Feb 2019
Education – The University of Tokyo 1995 – 2000
Aflac Global Ventures has made 42 investments in 10 different industries. The most actively AGV invested in is the healthcare, medical Fintech, and Insurance industries.
Seed 14.3%, Series A 14.3%, Series B 26.2%, Series C 7.1%, and All others 38.1%.
AGV invested most in the Series B rounds where companies passed the development stage. Series B funding can help startups to grow their company and get there by expanding market reach.
Round Size Distribution
AGV invested $608,075,519 in total. The maximum amount of investment is $102,000,000 while the minimum is $510,000. Most of the investment is in the 10M-50M range.
Seed round stage
AGV allocated 58% of its fund to the seed round of 5 companies, are in the AI, Healthcare industries. They are Pendella, TCARE, Reply.ai, Tomorrow Ideas, and Medical Notes. The mission of Aflac global ventures is to invest in promising young companies. In addition to capital, Aflac’s global venture brings industry knowledge and expertise and can facilitate opportunities for commercial partnerships and collaboration.
MRSO is a development and operation of a medical checkup / medical examination reservation portal site.
- Develop an online reservation platform designed to assist in booking comprehensive medical checkups at various medical institutions. The company’s platform provides medical checkup reservation systems for medical institutions and also offers healthcare management support services for corporate employees and medical tourism services, enabling users to make informed decisions with regard to medical checkups.
- MRSO has raised a total of $2.6M in funding over 2 rounds. Their latest funding was raised on Apr 12, 2017, from a Corporate Round.
- MRSO is funded by 2 investors. Aflac Global Ventures and JAFCO are the most recent investors.
- Money raised in Aflac Global Ventures: $2,582,816
- Medical Note is an online platform that offers medical information and physician-booking features.
- Develop a medical consulting platform designed to connect doctors, hospitals, and patients. The company’s platform provides a team of medical specialists such as doctors and nurses to explain medical knowledge and guides them to the departments and the site to visit, enabling patients to consult and question about their illness, hospital visits, treatment, or other medical issues at any time.
- A medical note is in Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan.
- Medical Note closed its last funding round on Jun 25, 2019, from a Corporate Round.
- Money raised in Aflac Global Ventures: $6,317,663
- The medical note has raised $13,537,849.29 (¥1.2B).
- Sensely is a developer of avatar and chatbot-based platforms designed to assist insurance plan members and patients.
- Sensely is a developer of avatar and chatbot-based platforms designed to assist insurance plan members and patients. The company’s platform leverages conversational interfaces and provides virtual assistant solutions to insurance companies, pharmaceutical clients, and hospital systems worldwide, enabling enterprises to converse with their members in an entirely new way, combining the empathy of human conversation with the efficiency and scalability of the technology.
- Sensely is located in San Francisco, California, United States.
- Sensely has raised a total of $26.8M in funding over 6 rounds. Their latest funding was raised on Oct 28, 2019, from a Venture – Series Unknown round.
- Money raised in Aflac Global Ventures: $15,000,000
- ReasonWhy is a Healthcare×IT company based in Tokyo.
- ReasonWhy develops healthcare IT services? The company operates three main services: Whytlink, a social network for doctors; Findme, an online second-opinion service that connects doctors in Whytlink to patients; WhytPlot, a big-data analysis tool for pharmaceutical manufacturers in Japan; and your hospital, a search engine for specialist hospitals.
- ReasonWhy has raised a total of $5.1M in funding over 4 rounds. Their latest funding was raised on Sep 12, 2019, from a Venture – Series Unknown round.
- Singlife provides digital life insurance services
- Singapore Life provides digital life insurance services. Singapore Life offers high net worth universal life solutions for those that prefer Singapore and the Singapore regulatory environment as a destination for their wealth and protection needs. It also offers protection solutions made available both digitally and through financial advisers to the retail segment, revolutionising how easy insurance can be. The Company incorporates multiple InsurTech solutions to improve the customer experience. Singapore Life represents the next generation of life insurance where customers are empowered through a simplified insurance purchase process.
- Singlife is located in Singapore, Central Region, Singapore.
- Singlife has acquired 2 organizations. Their most recent acquisition was Aviva Singapore on Sep 11, 2020. They acquired Aviva Singapore for $2B.
- Singlife has raised a total of $180.3M in funding over 6 rounds. Their latest funding was raised on Feb 1, 2021, from a Secondary Market round.
- Money raised in Aflac Global Ventures: $20,000,000
- Exa Wizards has integrated the digital sensation that has been conducting research in collaboration with EXAIntelligence
- ExaWizards Inc is engaged in the development of AI-enabled services for industrial innovation and social problem solutions.
- ExaWizards is located in Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
- ExaWizards is funded by 10 investors. Aflac Global Ventures and Scrum Ventures are the most recent investors